Stupid jelly beans.
I did hit a 16-lb weight loss, with the help of a weekend stomach flu; but I know I didn't stay there, thanks to Cheat Week. or Cheat 3-days. That's all it takes. So I'm not even getting on the scale today, not until I'm back on track.
People have been asking me what my secret is (that is, when I am on track and am losing weight.). It's no secret, but I'm willing to share. I'm no fitness or wellness guru, I'm just an average, normal, overeating, wrong-choice-making gal trying to get healthy.
Going through this process got me thinking about the DON'Ts I've encountered lately.
I think they're fact enough to share, so here we go.
- DON'T expect to lose as much weight every week as you did in the first week. It just ain't gonna happen.
- DON'T give up after 1 week or 2 weeks. That's my previous mistake. (Revelation 2:3)
- DON'T have weekly goal. Stick with the overall goal. Ending goal.
- DON'T have a time limit. Time frame, yes; time limit, no. Add two weeks to that time frame, too. =)
- DON'T cheat for a full day (okay, okay, or 3). It will set you back, or at least slow you down, especially if you're battling old bad habits. I take my cheats in bites or sips only. Maybe a meal. Make sure your willpower is set to high, though, because you will have to be able to walk away and say stop by yourself.
- DON'T think dieting is a quick-fix or a money-making scheme. If you're promised results in a small amount of time, run away. If you have to pay an arm and a leg for a meal or an exercise dvd, run away.You'll probably lose the same amount of calories running from it and it won't bust your wallet. =) ((p.s. I AM a fan of weight-loss programs that teach you how to eat real foods. Sometimes it's just a matter of redirecting your portion size or learning about nutrition.))
- DON'T think of losing weight as a diet. Do think of it as a healthier lifestyle. A lifestyle change. It is a fact that being in shape is better for the health of yourself and everyone around you. Even ten or twenty extra pounds could mean the difference between a clean bill of health and a problem.
- DON'T think that your old ways are going to get you there if you're stuck at a weight or a lifestyle.Be ready for a change. Be ready for new way of living.
- DON'T think you can do it on your own. Do your research. Find an app. Use a friend. Join a group.
- And lastly, DON'T think those old yummy foods or sweets are going to get less yummy as you eat healthier. That ain't gonna happen, either. As a matter of fact, they will probably taste even better (at least at week 4 they will). But at an end time, at the end goal, the rewards will be sweeter when you've earned them.
Hmmm, that sounds familiar...
26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations— 27 that one ‘will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery’[b]—just as I have received authority from my Father. 28I will also give that one the morning star.
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.
Sigh. Stupid jelly beans.